This week's Splinterlands Challenge of the Week was to showcase the Pirate Archer from the Water Splinter
I have mine at level 6, which is where he picks up 2 damage and blast, which is 3 damage for 2 mana, very handy! Although he only has average speed and low health.
The battle below is one in which I use the Pirate Archer sacrificially in order to to soak up sneak, and it worked quite well!
The Rule Set and Line Up
- Mana 34
Valnamor might seem like an odd choice for a slow ruleset, but I felt his +1 speed acting as a hex was worth it for the +1 magic and health - magic doesn't miss flying monsters which opponents tend to use with Earthquake and the plus one health is useful with Earthquake, effectively giving all monsters an extra round!
Summoner - Valnamor
- Lord A - I always play something with either shield or self heal as a tank with Earthquake
- Pirate archer - with treble strengthen he's really there to soak up damage, given that he won't last long anyway due to not having flying.
- Mermaid Healer - for the Pirate Archer and in anticipation of reflect, and 2 damage and strengthen. She also heals herself if it comes to it, good for Eearthquake!
- Main damage card 2 - Phantom thingy - and fly!
- Main damage card 2 - Sea Genie
- The Crustacean - for protect and heal.
Did my strategy work?
Beautifully, to see it in action [click here](https://splinterlands.com/?p=battle&id=361028702581e0fa43d43621dde109e1d54fd8b7!
- Round 1 - we trade blows for no losses - the Archer takes a pounding due to my opponent's snipe and blast, but holds out. Lord A is standing very strong!
- Round 2 - My opponent loses his Lord A due to Earthquake, I lose my archer due to snipe. my magic attacks pound his Cerberus.
- Round 3 - My opponent loses his Cerberus due to Earthquake. I lose my Mermaid, but he loses his Earth Elemental and his Naga Fire Warrior
- Round 4 - Earthquake takes out his first ranged attack.
- Round 5 - it's all over with the death of his beatle!
How important was The Pirate Archer?
Crucial - but used in an unusual context.
I obviously made the right choice using my mana mainly to play two high powered magic attacks with a 5 mana summoner, leaving me only 2 mana for a second tank - it made sense to choose the archer, who had good health with the buffs and shields.
He soaked up an entire round and a bit of snipe and blast, keeping the damage cards alive longer!
Final Thoughts: Pirate Archer - How to Use Him Most Effectively?
This battle didn't showcase the archer in a classic rule set!
I personally find him most effective in low mana battles, especially when combined with snipe, assuming your opponent plays a magic or ranged attack in second.
He's also best played nearer the back of course!
If you don't yet play Splinterlands, why not give it a go?
Anyone using my referral link will receive a free rare card!