So I spent some more time on
this last night, and am getting close to what I'd consider a finalized version! I added an entirely new track (Track 18), providing a really basic bass part, which sticks mostly to chord tones, though there are a couple little ascending lines to build things up. The instrument isn't too loud, but fills in the gaps between the kick hits nicely, which is what was making the track feel a bit thin in my opinion, so now we've got a beefier low-end. It also cuts out in the break, which really makes that part feel stark, and stand apart from everything around it. I also heavily compressed the bass part, which resulted in not a lot of definition, which when solo-ed didn't sound amazing, but seemed to make it really fit within the song. It also has a slight bit of sidechain compression, dropping out a little with the kick hits, but not so much as to completely disappear.
Track 18, Bass Part.
I also made some small little edits at various points throughout
the song, including the little fill in Track 15, pictured to the left here. The first time around, it ends with the 3 note line, D-F#-E, but the second time, the D is muted, instead just hitting the F# when the other tracks drop out, and accenting the first beat of the following measure. Track 10, the Lead Synth, which plays the ascending melody line's over some of the A sections of the track also had a little edit. Instead of ending with two bars overlapping the B section (the held D chord), it now ends right on the first beat of that section, with a little half step bend down from F# and back up again, which wound up working great, and really helped those transitions be a lot more apparent.
Track 10, Lead Synth.
Hope you like the changes! I think I'll go back and really fine tune the levels and effects where-needed, and share a final version soon!