When the Best Thing Your Can Do Is To Stop Doing Things (Splinterlands)
We've done a lot. Time to do nothing.
The economy in Splinterlands still needs help. A lot of help. But, it's time to move on from that for a bit and concentrate on the game.
I agree with just about every change Splinterlands has made recently. The economy needed to have limiters put on it. So much crap was being given out for next to nothing in cost that nothing had any value. "Great, another Pelacor whatever-the-fuck that's worth half a cent!"
- Making land super expensive to pull a crap ton of assets out of the game was a great move.
- Putting high levels on SPS staking requirements is also a good move (if you understand it). I wish they'd explained it better than just dropping that chart that was easily misconstrued but I think it's a good move.
- Soulbound reward cards was a great move.
- Cutting the DEC faucets was a great move.
- Burning CL packs was a great move.
- Pushing bots to wild mode was a great move (but really only just to prove they were listening, other than that it doesn't matter at all).
- The coming asset staking requirements on guild buildings will be a great move.
These are all great moves because they make the rewards we get for playing the game more valuable and they give the game a chance to break out again instead of being bogged down by the weight of the assets already printed.
So yeah, the team has made a lot of really good moves.
And now it's time to stop for a while.
Finish the story and then chill for a minute
The community is fatigued. Each of these moves, while needed, can feel like they are restricting players and cutting rewards. They aren't but they feel like it. Many players feel like they are under constant assault at this point. People get stressed out thinking about Splinterlands and that's not good.
We have a lot coming down the pike and I think there are a lot of economy improvements that still need to be implemented but for now we need to just put out what was talked about and everything new beyond that should focused on play. Fun. Playing a game.
I've cheered every one of these economic fixes but even I'm fatigued by them all.
Once land 1.5 and validator nodes are live, the next moves need to be game related or at least fun related. Skins, battle pass, game modes, tournaments, etc. All the stuff that Weird Beard was championing before he took this new role and seemingly got bogged down. (Still love you Weird Beard)
We can still do economy things but they need to be introduced like, "Here's a new cool game thing, rewards aren't monetary, burn some 1 cent cards to participate".
It should not start with "we are making some changes to the economy so your assets are worth more in the future".
If they can create experiences people want to pay for regardless of ROI (like literally everything else voluntarily pay for in the world), the economy might just fix itself.
Posted Using LeoFinance Alpha