Splinterlands Town Hall Summary - January 7th, 2022 - 2PM Eastern!
Town Hall Summary
- Aggroed (Co-Founder)
- Yabapmatt (Chief Product Officer)
- Hardpoint (Chief Technology Officer)
- Nateaguila (Creative Director)
- Breakingbenjamin (Narrative Team)
- Chatter (Director Of Growth)
- Waffles Kitty (DYGYCON Event Coordinator)
- Kbux (VP Of Engineering)
- Main Topics:
- Copmany Updates 💥
- Eye Candy 👀
- AMA Summary ⚡️
- 00:50 - Intro
- 2:30 - Hardpoint Update (Dev & Support)
- 9:05 - Yabapmatt Update (Dev)
- 15:20 - Nateaguila Update (Creative)
- 23:15 - Breakingbenjamin Intro/Update (Creative)
- 30:25 - Chatter Update (Marketing)
- 34:55 - Waffles Kitty Intro/Update (DYGYCON)
- 38:10 - Kbux Update (Dev)
- 58:45 - Q&A
- 1:31:15 - Eye Candy
- 1:49:30 - More Q&A
- 2:04:25 - Closing Remarks
💥 Company Updates 💥
- Scaling issues have been mostly remediated and servers have been running very stable
- Big tournaments like the Brawlers should be back very soon!
- In the past, these would cause server issues due to a large number of participants
- Servers are well prepared to handle the stress now!
- Matt's main priority/focus is the SPS Validator software
- Other big priorities for Q1:
- Chaos Legion General Sale - Starts on the 17th
- Modern vs Wild Ranked Formats
- Land Expansion
- Team is almost done developing functionality for downloading account balance history
- Export your whole balance history for all of 2021
- Great way to report taxes accurately
- Support team significantly cut down all the WAX, Hive Engine, and SPS tickets
- Tickets received is constantly decreasing every month
- December had half the tickets received in November
- December total tickets vs solved ==> 2618 total / 1900 solved
- November total vs solved ==> 4417 total / 4200 solved
- December had half the tickets received in November
- Solved 34,619 total tickets in the last 4 months
- Only 1,161 outstanding tickets
- Outstanding tickets mainly involve email address changes and bugs
- Launched a new Knowledge Center that will be including guides and articles for common issues
- Team is focused on launching new ad platforms
- Launched Brave Ads last week
- Snapchat ads should be starting soon
- Facebook/Instgram/Google ads hopefully by end of January
- Also billboard ads in Southeast Asia
- ZenSports Chaos Legion Showdown and + Chaos Legion Trivia Giveaways - Tune In!
- CoinMarketCap alpha is live
- Bunch of conferences coming up:
- Southeast Asia - Arcade Event
- Asia - Metaverse Conference
- Los Angeles - Edge of NFT
- Splinterlands Stream Team is looking to expand
- Contact R0nd0n on Discord
- Learn to Play Stream with Hardpoint & Chatter
- Weekly stream with Hardpoint & Chatter
- Starting new, fresh accounts and will stream their journey to setting up their accounts, playing ranked battles, and climbing higher leagues
- Will be streamed on Twitch
- Creative team's main focus is to go head-to-head with AAA studios and elevate production quality
- Want to expand on the SplinterBites
- Splinter Bites appear when searching for a battle
- Currently includes little snippets of the Lore of characters
- Will add other snippets that will inlcude helpful information for new and advanced players
- Team will accept community feedback for these snippets
- Submit here: Submit A SplinterBite
- If your submission is deemed of value, you could receive a reward!
- To reiterate, Splinterlands is trying to be way more than just a card game
- Ranked play is only one little aspect of the whole ecoystem
- New Chaos Legion lore story/video has been posted - checkout the Team Updates section!
- You can read all the stories here - Chaos Legion Lore
General Team Updates:
- DYGYCON is coming up - January 21-23rd
- RSVP Now!
- What is DYGYCON? - Digital conference with various blockchain projects, games, and influencers
- Follow On Twitter
- Team wants to integrate Splinterlands streams within the game
- Would be great for players to easily follow-in on
- Would be great for streamers to expand their awareness
⚡️ AMA Summary ⚡️
- New potential feature coming could be auto-staking
- If set, would auto-stake the SPS you receive from SPS staking rewards
- Potential plan is to allow tract & region claims to be split before revealed
- So these claims would turn into individual land plot claims
- Then land plot claims can be revealed individually
- Allows tract/region pools to be distributed evenly
- There will be 14 different geography types
- Aggroed wanted 30+, Nate cut down to 14
- Each geography type has 4 different rarities
- Also magic-based land and non-magic land, and occupied/unoccupied land
- No plans on reducing the total max supply of reward cards
- Team doesn't want to constantly be adding new reward cards into the game
- Aggroed wants to require vouchers for 100% of the Riftwatchers sales
- Matt is hesitant as a lot will probably change by the time Riftwatchers is released
Chaos Legion Airdrops:
- Regardless of how many packs are sold in phase 2, the airdrop drop rates for the 2nd and 3rd airdrops will remain as they are
- 0.33% per pack, 300 packs guarantee one airdrop
- The subsequent airdrops will have larger drop rates as it takes in consideration the amount of packs sold
- Drop rates aren't officially announced until closer to general sale
- All packs bought in pre-sale and phase 2 will count towards all subsequent airdrops
Ranked Reward System:
- Team wants to do a high-level overview of the reward structure
- Looking to improve the incentives for climbing to higher leagues
- Will keep bots vs players in mind so bots never have more advantages
- Always looking to keep players interested and reward those who try to climb higher
Chaos Legion General Sale Stream:
- Team wants to do another stream for the start of the Chaos Legion stream
- They did a very similar one for the first day of opening Chaos Legion packs
- Lookout for a stream link on Discord/Telegram!
🔥 EYE CANDY 🔥
Chatter's Updated Art
Chaos Legion - General Sale Countdown
Chaos Legion - General Sale Live Page
Swamp Land - Common & Occupied
Swamp Land - Rare & Unoccupied
Swamp Land - Epic & Occupied
Swamp Land - Legendary & Unoccupied
Chaos Legion Lore: Below
- 4th War Tale from the Chaos Legion Lore
New Available Job Opportunities
- Splinterlands team is looking to expand their team!
- Open Positions:
- Executive Admin Assistant
- Game Designer
- UX Designer
- Community Manager
- And Many More...!
Past AMA Summaries
- Friday, December 31st, 2021
- 2021 Company Achievements 🎄
- Team's Year End Review ❄️
- AMA Summary ☃️
- Friday, December 24th, 2021
- General Team Updates 🎄
- Marketing + Creative Updates ☃️
- Land Eye Candy ❄️
- Friday, December 17th, 2021
- Marketing Updates 💥
- Eye Candy 👀
- Q&A ⚡️
Next AMA - Friday, January 14th, 8PM Eastern (1AM UTC)
So vouchers for Riftwatchers? That's kind of messed up. You have to have staked SPS to get vouchers but you have to have unstaked SPS to spend on the Riftwatchers packs. If you spend SPS you get fewer vouchers which means future offerings will be unobtainable without spending large amounts of cash on SPS and vouchers in the exchanges.
That's pretty rough for accounts with a value of less than $2500.00. I feel like I'm forced to decide on buying packs or just holding out and buying individual cards. Actually, I think I might HODL SPS and vouchers, they may be worth more than packs before this is over.
The new Chaos cards turned out pretty nice and the offering was pretty fair so everyone could participate and even vouchers were more or less affordable on the exchanges. My account is smaller and yet I was able to scrounge up enough funds to get 100 packs to open. I didn't really gain much account value, more or less broke even but at least I had the fun of opening packs which is an important part of the experience unless you are just here solely to invest.
So kudos on the initial offering of Chaos - I hope you can figure out a way to make Riftwatchers available to all the player base as well.
I was under the impression that you will buy Riftwatchers packs with DEC, just like it was for DICE, not SPS.
The following was in the last Gold Foil Press email I received from Splinterlands -
You can only buy Riftwatchers with SPS. See the last AMA notes.
SPS is the future IMO. HODL
The answer is almost always buy individual cards (at least for gameplay purposes; if you're buying things primarily for investment, I can't help you).
The point was about keeping the "fun" of opening packs available to everyone. I've been playing TCG's for a long time now, a lot of the game excitement is the mystery of opening packs not knowing if it will be a dud or some super cool legendary gold that is worth a pretty penny. I still remember opening Pokemon 1st editions and pulling a holo Charizard!
My wish is that no matter how big Splinterlands gets it will always be friendly to new players on any budget, that everyone can always buy packs, and it does not become a whales-only club like some other blockchain games have.
Trading card games always have had an investment element to them as well. Take Magic the Gathering for instance. Some of the cards from the first few sets in the early 1990s are worth over $50k USD! Today you can still pull rares worth up to $50-$75 USD depending on how good they are in game play.
Most of my experience is MtG, which is why I responded the way I did. Yes, there are still some chase rares/mythics (although the explosion of alt arts has made the standard version of even the best cards really affordable), but even if you want those, the best solution is to buy them as singles and not open packs. Only whales (and local game stores) should open packs as they open a large enough number to make it not gambling. If you like gambling, and have fun opening packs (and who doesn't), then do that. But if you want the best value for your $ in terms of gameplay, buying singles is gonna win every time.
You can stake SPS to get the vouchers, AND THEN unstake to purchase RW packs. RW won't be released for 4-5 months, which should be ample time to accumulate some vouchers before unstaking to purchase.
However, as I'm sure many others will tell you, if you want best value for competing, buy individual cards.
Great response, and I hope I can expand on the situation.
Unfortunately, due to the growth of the game and the amount of money people like to throw around, I don't believe we will ever have a normal pack sale ever again. As a result, vouchers were created to try to find a balance.
When vouchers were initially created, they were mainly described as a utility for SPS. However, they actually turned into a mechanic to meter the pack sales ultimately. Due to vouchers, the sales were able to be split into different phases, and allowed everyone to participate if they wanted to.
Yes, vouchers cost additional money, however, they ensure that you buy the pack/s you want. Also, you get additional benefits when you bought with vouchers like the pre-sale rewards, and then the next two monster airdrops for those who buy in during the current phase, phase 2.
If vouchers didn't exist, the Chaos Legion pack sale would have been sold out in the very first couple of days. I know this sounds like a guess, but I'm telling you right now, the amount of money that was sitting on the sidelines while SPS was at a higher price, was unreal a few months ago. However, they didn't want to waste any of that on vouchers, so they've been waiting for the general sale.
With all this being said, I wouldn't be surprised if RiftWatchers does require vouchers for 100% of the pack sales. However, by the time RiftWatchers is even released, the in-game marketplace should be expanded to include packs, lands, titles, and probably vouchers as well. What that means is that players will be able to buy these assets through the in-game marketplace, rather than having to seek out Hive Engine or Atomic Hub, and to go through a bunch of hoops.
When that happens, I think it will make all these assets supper accessible as I imagine you can buy with DEC which everyone has. So if you wanted a voucher, you could probably just buy with DEC, then use your SPS for RiftWatchers.
Just my two cents, hope it helps give some clarity!
That makes a little more sense. I am definitely happy to hear we will be able to transfer assets internally with a third-party exchange, the system right now is terribly cumbersome. Being able to move assets easily in and out of game is critical for growth. People new to crypto need that when they start playing Splinterlands.
hi what do you mean by normal pack sale? How was it like previously compared to now?
Well I only joined back in June 2021, so I can't speak on the sales other than Untamed as that pack was still for sale in the Shop at the time. It was great though, because what hooked me was the ability to create an account and buy packs right away. I'm an addict for pack opening and that alone explains why I'm still in this game.
Unfortunately, that won't happen anymore as back then, we only had around 5,000 daily active users. Now with 300k+ DAU, there is too much demand for packs, and too much scarcity. So I see the General Sale selling out in like a week or less.
goodness! 5000 users... wow, wished I was one of those 5000... Really didn't know splinterlands existed until I started doing research about play2earn. Should have started researching earlier 🤣
Thank you for taking the time to give us a report :)
Riftwatchers should need vouchers 100 percent, vouchers are very cheap right now
Thanks for the detailed update! So excited for what's to come!
Congratulations @splinterlands! You have completed the following achievement on the Hive blockchain and have been rewarded with new badge(s):
Your next target is to reach 210000 upvotes.
You can view your badges on your board and compare yourself to others in the Ranking
If you no longer want to receive notifications, reply to this comment with the word
Check out the last post from @hivebuzz:
Support the HiveBuzz project. Vote for our proposal!
Chatter’s artwork is so top notch. Splinterlands team got an amazing aura.
These AMA summaries always save my bacon! Thank you so much for doing them Brybo!
You have received a 1UP from @sketchygamerguy!
And look, they brought !PIZZA 🍕
Delegate your tribe tokens to our Cartel curation accounts and earn daily rewards. Join the family on Discord.
PIZZA Holders sent $PIZZA tips in this post's comments:
@vimukthi(2/5) tipped @trazer-ex (x1)
curation-cartel tipped splinterlands (x1)
Please vote for pizza.witness!
Thanks for the info.
What specifically does a larger drop rate mean? That more cards will be airdropped? Or that the chance of getting an airdropped card will be a higher percentage?
Sorry for this not being clear. Larger airdrop rate means it will take more packs to receive an airdrop. Since each subsequent airdrop normally gets dropped after every 1M packs are sold, that means there are 1M more packs that are eligible. So they increase the drop rate to be larger so the amount airdropped isn't a ridiculous amount.
In my opinion, I could see each subsequent airdrop after these next two increase by 1/100. So that means the fourth airdrop would be 1/400 packs, then fifth would be 1/500, etc...
Hope this helps!
Oh that definitely makes sense. Thank you!!
Thanks for providing a link for Splinterbites entries! Crossing my fingers for my entry. Do you have a site to read all Splinterbites? They fly so fast everytime I try to read them when I enter a battle. Thanks!
Unfortunately, there is no existing site or page that lays out all the SplinterBites. However, I think this would be a great ideal and forwarded to the team to see their thoughts.
Good luck with your SplinterBite though! Thanks for contributing!
Thank you for the reply. I'd really love to see a section for Splinterbites within the game. I'm a fan of Splinterlore, and such has motivated me to write content about it. Congratulations, by the way, on the Chaos Legion Lore. It really gave fans a wonderful reading experience. Thanks again!
I think it will be a great idea to make it easy to discover and read all the SplinterBites in one place.
Very excited about things to come. Can not wait for the land to be integrated.