Battle Ruleset Updates
The Splinterlands team is planning to roll out some significant changes to the rulesets in battles in the upcoming release this Tuesday, January 24th, 2023.
The primary change is that up to three rulesets may be active at the same time in Gold league and higher ranked battles, as well as all Tournament and Guild Brawl battles. Previously, only two rulesets could be active for a battle. By increasing that to three it opens up exponentially more new and interesting combinations that players will need to navigate in order to crush their opponent.
The chances of getting 1, 2, or 3 rulesets, as well as chances of getting the "Standard" ruleset in each league is shown below:
- Bronze - 75% chance of 1 ruleset / 25% chance of “Standard” ruleset
- Silver - 75% chance of 2 rulesets / 20% chance of 1 ruleset / 5% chance of “Standard” ruleset
- Gold+ / Tournament / Brawl - 75% chance of 3 rulesets / 15% chance of 2 rulesets / 8% chance of 1 ruleset / 2% chance of “Standard” ruleset
Additionally, we have reworked the methodology by which the rulesets can be chosen. In the past, the rulesets were grouped into one of two categories - primary or secondary - as well as an "any" category. A maximum of one primary ruleset and one secondary ruleset could be chosen for any battle which significantly limited the possible ruleset combinations.
With the change to 3 rulesets we have completely removed the categories and now any rulesets can be combined with any other rulesets except for specific exclusions to prevent certain incompatible combinations.
This will open up a whole bunch of really interesting new ruleset combinations that were not possible before. For example you could have a Back to Basics, Equal Opportunity, Unprotected battle where all monsters lose their base abilities, gain the Opportunity ability, and don't have any armor. Or you could have a Broken Arrows, Even Stevens, Taking Sides battle where you can only choose monsters that do not have a Ranged attack, have even Mana cost, and are not Neutral.
The full list of all of the current rulesets in the game are shown in the table at the bottom of this post including what "type" of ruleset it is and the list of incompatible rulesets and ruleset types for each.
Two New Rulesets
With this change we will also be releasing the following two new rulesets:
- Going the Distance - Only Monsters with Ranged attack may be used.
- Wands Out - Only Monsters with Magic attack may be used.
These will round out the attack type rulesets so that now there will be rulesets which don't allow each type of attack as well as rulesets which only allow each type of attack.
Please note that we will also be disabling these six "attack type" limiting rulesets in Alpha edition only tournaments since there are already so few cards to choose from in the Alpha edition that it doesn't make sense to limit it further.
Show Us Your Battles!
Having to adapt to constantly changing rules and knowing which cards are better or worse in different situations is the core component of the skill and fun of the Splinterlands game, and we look forward to this update taking that mechanic to an entirely new level.
The mechanic also allows nearly every card in the game to have utility and value in certain situations, which requires players to have a very diverse selection of cards available in order to be competitive. We see this as another important feature of the game, as well as being a nice change from the typical collectible card game where many cards are worthless and hardly ever used in competitive play.
We can't wait to see players posting some of the crazy new ruleset combinations they encounter in battles and seeing certain previously underutilized cards shine when that specific situation arises that calls for them!
Updated Ruleset & Incompatibility List
|Name||Type||Incompatible Types||Incompatible Rulesets|
|Equal Opportunity||Ability||Aimless, Melee Mayhem, Super Sneak, Target Practice|
|Fire & Regret||Ability|
|Super Sneak||Ability||Melee Mayhem|
|Tis but Scratches||Ability|
|Up to Eleven||Ability|
|What Doesn't Kill You||Ability|
|Broken Arrows||Attack Type||Attack Type||Close Range, Fire & Regret|
|Keep Your Distance||Attack Type||Attack Type||Briar Patch, Melee Mayhem, Stampede, Super Sneak|
|Going the Distance||Attack Type||Attack Type||Briar Patch, Counterspell, Melee Mayhem, Stampede, Super Sneak, Weak Magic|
|Lost Magic||Attack Type||Attack Type||Counterspell, Weak Magic|
|Up Close & Personal||Attack Type||Attack Type||Aimless, Close Range, Counterspell, Fire & Regret, Target Practice, Weak Magic|
|Wands Out||Attack Type||Attack Type||Briar Patch, Close Range, Fire & Regret, Melee Mayhem, Stampede, Super Sneak|
|Even Stevens||Card Mana||Card Mana|
|Little League||Card Mana||Card Mana||Ferocity, Stampede|
|Odd Ones Out||Card Mana||Card Mana|
|Lost Legendaries||Card Rarity||Card Rarity|
|Rise of the Commons||Card Rarity||Card Rarity|
|Taking Sides||Card Type|
|Back to Basics||Ability Removal||Ability Removal||Ferocity, Heavy Hitters, Stampede|
|Fog of War||Ability Removal|
|Healed Out||Ability Removal|
|Unprotected||Other||Armored Up, Weak Magic|
Stay tuned for more updates from the Splinterlands!
Website | Blog | Discord | Telegram | Shop
NOTE: All rewards from this post will be sent to the SPS DAO.
The rewards earned on this comment will go directly to the people( @kaibagt, @russia-btc, @enjar, @michupa, @hive-182654 ) sharing the post on Twitter as long as they are registered with @poshtoken. Sign up at https://hiveposh.com.
This should shake it up... I love it! Way to make the game more interesting and make us have to think even more :D
Dude Madness, it'll take a real Splinterlands Brofessor to understand the matches.
What's a "Standard" ruleset?
It's a ruleset that basically the same as "no ruleset". All the cards and summoners act as normal with no additional advantages or disadvantages.
Ah right on. Thanks!
View or trade
Hey @aussieninja, here is a little bit of
BEERfrom @torran for you. Enjoy it!
Learn how to earn FREE BEER each day by staking your
Wow, Gold+ Competitor will be fierce and become more interesting. so many combinations.
cool, now we are talking about game not some debate about tokenomics
BUY AND STAKE THE PGM TO SEND A LOT OF TOKENS!
The tokens that the command sends are: 0.1 PGM-0.1 LVL-0.1 THGAMING-0.05 DEC-15 SBT-1 STARBITS-[0.00000001 BTC (SWAP.BTC) only if you have 2500 PGM in stake or more ]
5000 PGM IN STAKE = 2x rewards!
Support the curation account @ pgm-curator with a delegation 10 HP - 50 HP - 100 HP - 500 HP - 1000 HP
Get potential votes from @ pgm-curator by paying in PGM, here is a guide
I'm a bot, if you want a hand ask @ zottone444
Would love to see the 3 rulesets in Silver league. It would drive the bots further down the chain instead of all into Silver.
So we have 1-2 weeks before the bots get enough data to crack the code and surpass us again. Humans cannot beat bots.
Obi-Wan and Anakin would disagree with you.
Looking forward to the new ruleset combos, brings new dynamics to the game :)
AWESOME! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Not sure it will help against bots. More rules means less possibilities for playable cards and then it becomes easier for a bot to find the "best" team.
It will take a few weeks for bots algorithms to be refined but after this, we will be back to square one.
Just played a match with Super Sneak and Fog of War plus a third. Shouldn't super sneak and fog of war be incompatible?
I also saw a few weird ruleset combinations a few months ago. Nowadays I very rarely play Splinterlands. Probably the rulesets are one of the smallest problems in Splinterlands. The game being frustratingly too hard and pay-to-win are the biggest problems. It was not like this always. Splinterlands was much better in the past. Mostly in/around 2019. It was one of my favorite games.
Back then there were too few cards and you could predict what you're opponent would do. I win way more now. If I see the competition is strong, I just won't play for a few days and it gets easier.
I think i need to start playing this game I've been seeing so many post about it
Swami SAYS, not sure if MOST can "handle" the extra ruleset... #SwamiSays